I've been writing an email that I'll send to friends and family before we head off to South America, and suspect others will be doing the same.
Feel free to copy/edit it for your own use:
Getting in touch while we are away....
We will have very limited communications while sailing offshore.
If you need to get in touch, then use our satellite number: YOUR-NUMBER-HERE
1) EMAIL: We have no internet access apart from being able to read SMALL emails sent to: YOUR-EMAIL-HERE
- if your email is not SMALL we won't get it, so:
- only send text in your email
- make sure there are no attachments (especially if forwarding a file)
- make sure there are no images embedded (e.g. your avatar or company logo)
2) CALL: You can call us on our satellite phone using the number above
- this could be expensive, so probably best for emergencies
- will cost about £5 per minute from a UK mobile phone
3) SMS: You can also send SMS messages to our satellite phone using the number above
- will cost about 40p each from a UK mobile phone
The most RELIABLE and FREE way to get a SMS message to us is to use this form on the Iridium web site:
- enter our number without the plus, i.e.: YOUR-NUMBER-HERE
- enter your email address (a mobile number we can SMS you back on also works here)
- enter your message and send
If you don't get a reply then don't worry, we may not check our messages every day, or the satellite network might incur a delay.
IF YOU HAVE REGISTERED YOUR GO WITH NOFOREIGNLAND ADD THIS:
Our position is updated every hour on this map so you can see exactly where we are whenever you like:
A sharing link for this page has been copied.
You can paste this link on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or send it to a friend in an instant message or an email.
Thanks for sharing!